Get A Grant: Teacher Travel
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Green Projects and Places and other Green Travel topics.
As a teacher, I would love to go on more learning vacations, but the research expeditions seem very expensive. Is there any funding available for teachers?
The research expeditions require donations from volunteers to defray the cost of their room, board and training, and to help pay for the research work itself. The Earthwatch Institute website does offer some resources for teachers.
- A Teacher Professional Development Award of $1000 is granted to outstanding K-12 environmental educators or to teachers who use environmental themes to integrate different fields of learning.
- The Fund for Teachers provides grants to outstanding teachers to support their summer learning projects.
- Look into an ITIC (International Teacher's Card) that offers full-time teachers discounts on travel, insurance, accommodation and entry into various museums. It costs only $22.
- Blue Marble Travel (http://www.bluemarble.org/), a company specializing in European bike tours, offers a 10% discount to full-time teachers.
- Go Nomad (www.gonomad.com/contest/contestrules.html) runs a contest for a $500 travel grant. You are judged on the basis of a one-page synopsis describing where you would go and what you would research on your trip.